Marriage Records

*To ensure same day service of Vital Records, you must be in the office by 3:30pm.*

If you want to get married, you’ll need a marriage license.

  1. Marriages in Iowa are between 2 people who are (1) 18 years of age and older; (2) not already or still legally married to someone else or each other; (3) not closely related by blood or first cousins; and (4) legally competent to enter into a civil contract.
  2. Minors. Persons aged 16 and 17 may only marry with special permission from a judge and should request a "Consent to Marriage of a Minor" form when making application for their marriage license (At least one parent or guardian must sign the consent form). Complete the form and present it to a judge within the same judicial district as the county in which you wish your license issued. The Clerk of District Court office can provide additional information. Return the signed form in order to complete the marriage application process.
  3. To apply for a marriage license the couple intending to marry and one witness (someone that’s acquainted with the couple and is 18 or older) must come into the office and fill out the application. The applicants and witness must have a photo I.D. The fee is $35.00.

Valid Date: When the marriage license valid date is computed, the day of application is excluded. Then 4 days after that the license is valid (weekend days are included in count). So:

Date of Application Valid Date of License
Monday Friday
Tuesday Saturday
Wednesday Sunday
Thursday Monday
Friday Tuesday

The license does not expire unless it is not retrieved from the County Registrar within six months from the date of application, the application is then considered null and void.

If the applicants are unable to come in to our office in person, we can mail the application out or you can print it here.This form must be completed and signed before an authorized notary public.

Marriage Certificates

To obtain a raised seal certified copy of your marriage certificate, you may write to us or come into the office. We will have your record if you applied for the license in Polk County.

For records we do not have, you may contact the Iowa Department of Public Health. You can contact them by phone at (515) 281-4944.

You may use the form provided here to write to us or you can come in and see us. A fee of $15.00 is required for each request. Accepted forms of payment include cash, check, credit card (Mastercard, Visa, Discover) and money order.

Polk County Judges who perform Marriage Ceremonies

For all weddings, whether at the courthouse or elsewhere, please call the judge in advance to make an appointment.

For weddings performed at a time other than regular judicial working hours and at a place other than a court facility, a judge or magistrate may charge a fee not to exceed $200.00. Individual judges may charge different fees. Please inquire for actual costs when arranging a ceremony.

Click here for Judges who Perform Wedding Ceremonies in Polk County.

We are open to the public 8:00am - 4:30pm Monday thru Friday. For same day service of Vital Records you must be in the office by 3:30pm. Passports are by appointment only. Call 515-286-3160 with any questions or to set up an appointment.