Emergency Home Repair
The Housing Services Division operates an Emergency Home Repair Program that provides needed repairs to owner-occupied single family dwellings and mobile homes located throughout Polk County. These repairs are completed for the purpose of keeping families in their homes, particularly those persons who are most vulnerable such as the elderly, the disabled, and children in a compassionate and respectful fashion. Through an initial evaluation by staff, determination, and remediation of the issue, residents will benefit from a more safe and healthy environment. All repairs may be completed at no cost or minimal contribution by the homeowner.
The cost of necessary repairs may not exceed 20% of the assessed value of the property up to $12,000.00. If the cost to perform the repair exceeds 20% of the assessed value of the property or is greater that $12,000.00, the homeowner will be given the opportunity to contribute funding the balance of the repair. Clients may receive assistance on multiple occasions but are limited to a lifetime benefit not to exceed 20% of the assessed value of the property up to $12,000.00.
For Mobile Homes, the cost of necessary repairs may not exceed $2500.00. If the cost to perform the repair exceeds $2500.00, the owner will be given the opportunity to contribute funding the repair in excess of the $2500.00 limit. Owners may receive assistance on multiple occasions but are limited to a lifetime benefit not to exceed $2500.00.
To qualify for this program:
- Income limit is based at 80% or below the HUD Median Income for Des Moines MSA/Polk County guidelines determined by the most current Housing and Urban Development figures.
- Provide income documentation as needed.
- The adjusted assessed value of the home including land cannot exceed $200,000.
- The home must be owner-occupied, titled in the name of the owner occupant for at least one (1) year from the date of the application as determined by a recorded deed with the Polk County Recorder’s Office.
- Homestead Credit must be approved by the Polk County Assessor’s Office.
- Property Taxes and Special Assessments must be current or listed as suspended with the Polk County Treasurer’s Office.
- The Property cannot be listed on a nuisance list by any governmental entity.
- Property cannot be in foreclosure process from any financial lending institution.
- Financial asset limits are set at a $50,000.00 cumulative maximum. Assets included in this limit are: Balances on checking, savings accounts, cash value in a life insurance policy, certificate of deposits, and equity in real estate owned other than personal residence.
|Family size||Annual Income -80%|
If you wish to apply for the Emergency Home Repair program, contact
Polk County Public Works
Housing Services Division
5885 NE 14th Street
Des Moines, Iowa 50313