Complete the Application for Replacement of Iowa Certificate of Title to a Motor Vehicle (Iowa DOT Form 411033). The application must be signed by all owners. If there is an open lien on the vehicle, the application will need to be signed by the lien holder.
If there is an open lien on the title, but the lien holder does not have an interest in the vehicle any longer, they may complete a separate notarized Cancellation of Security Interest (Iowa DOT Form 411168) form.
A notarized letter from the security interest holder on their letterhead paper is acceptable if it has the following information:
- Owners name(s) and address
Please send the application and any supporting documents to our office using one of the following methods:
- Send copies of the application form and the notarized lien release (if applicable) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please include a telephone number. A customer service agent will contact you for payment.
- Mail/Drop Box
- Mail in your application, notarized lien release (if applicable), and the $25.00 title replacement fee to:
Polk County Treasurer
111 Court Ave, Room 155
Des Moines, IA 50309
- You may also opt to drop your envelope with all of the required items in the drop box outside of the entrance of the Polk County Administration Building.
Once the application is received there is a mandatory 5-day waiting period before the replacement title can be issued. The fee for a replacement title is $25.00.