Chichaqua Bottoms Greenbelt in NE Polk County has a trap range. Polk County Conservation does not have any areas to shoot rifles or pistols.
The trap range at Chichaqua is a standard 16 yard/5 station setup with trap house. The trap house has a manually operated thrower. Cost to rent the range & house is $7 hour. This is a flat fee - not per shooter. . You may also rent just the range (no house) for $5/hour if you prefer to use your own thrower. Reservations should be made in advance by calling the Chichaqua Bottoms Greenbelt office at 515-967-2596.
Alternatively, the trap range can be used on a walk up basis. There is a self pay station at the range. Simply fill out an envelope, insert your payment and drop in the payment tube. Of course, walk-up users must yield to those having reservations and you must bring your own thrower.
We do not sell ammunition or clay targets.
Trap Range Rules
- Users under age 18 must have a responsible adult present
- Shooting hours- 8 a.m. – sunset
- Range for shotgun/shot shell use only- no slugs, rifles, muzzleloaders, or handguns allowed
- Shooting permitted on designated range only
- Alcohol is prohibited on the trap range and surrounding area
- Safety glasses and hearing protection are strongly suggested
- The responsible individual for a party must fill out all paperwork accurately, clearly, and completely.
- Lead shot allowed on trap range only
- Individuals and groups may use the area without reservations, but must yield to groups holding reservations.
- All trash must be hauled out by users
- Misuse of the trap range or violations of rules or laws will result in the suspension of shooting privileges.