License Reinstatement Program
Who do I contact if I have questions about my driver’s license?
Iowa Department of Transportation
Driver’s License Information: 1-800-532-1121.
Web address: http://www.iowadot.gov/
What is the License Reinstatement Program (LRP)?
It is a program that allows people whose driver’s license has been suspended or will be suspended soon, for non-payment of traffic cases. This plan allows you to get yours driver’s license back while making monthly payments.
How do I start the License Reinstatement Program (LRP)?
First you must apply. Please click here.
How long does the application process take?
We need to get your driving record from the Iowa Department of Transportation to determine if you qualify for the program. This process can take up to three (3) weeks. Please be patient. We will send you a letter informing you of our decision.
How do I make payments?
- Pay online. Iowa Courts Online: Click Here.
- Pay through the mail. You can send a check or money order. Make payable to “Polk County Clerk of Court” and send it to the Polk County Clerk of Court, 222 5th Avenue, Des Moines, Iowa, Be sure to include at least one case number on your check or money order.
- Pay in person. Go to the Payment Center at the Polk County Justice Center located at 222 5th Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50309. They do accept cash, check, money orders, debit or credit cards. The Polk County Justice Center is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (excluding holidays).
- Pay over the phone. If you have a debit or credit card, you can pay over the phone by calling 515-286-3760. Please be patient this number may be busy or you may get voice mail.
- The Polk County Attorney’s Office does not accept payments.
Can I get my vehicle registration hold lifted if I get on the License Reinstatement Program?
Yes, unless you have fines in other counties that are not suspending your license then you would have to make arrangements with those counties. Please call (515) 286-2203.
How do I remain in good standing on the License Reinstatement Payment Plan?
You MUST do the following:
- Make your monthly payment on time AND
- Provide our office with a copy of your insurance policy prior to the expiration date. We must have a paper copy of your up to date insurance policy at all times in our files.
Failure to comply with these requirements will result in your revocation from the DRIVER’S License Reinstatement Program.
If I was on License Reinstatement Program and revoked, can I get back on?
Yes, however, by law you are only allowed five (5) License Reinstatement Plans in a life time.
Can I add a ticket I just got on a License Reinstatement Payment Plan?
No. Tickets have to be 60 days since disposition date to be on a plan.
Can my civil penalties be added to my License Reinstatement Payment Plan?
No. Civil penalties will need to be paid in full before you are put on the License Reinstatement Program. Payment is made to the Department of Transportation at 1-800-532-1121.
Can fines from counties other than Polk be put on the License Reinstatement Payment Plan?
Yes, as long as you have suspended tickets in Polk County and the tickets from the other counties are in suspension as well.
When is a case eligible for a License Reinstatement Payment Plan?
A case is eligible for the License Reinstatement Program after 60 days from your sentencing date.
Can ticket(s) from other states be put on the License Reinstatement Payment Plan?
How do I get insurance if I don’t own a vehicle?
You will need to obtain a ‘non-owners’ policy. Or, you can be placed on another person’s insurance policy but you MUST be a listed driver on that policy.
Do I need SR-22?
You will need to check with the Iowa Department of Transportation at 1-800-532-1121.
Can I be on the License Reinstatement Program if my license is barred?
Only if the Iowa Department of Transportation is willing to grant you a Temporary Restricted License (“work permit”).
Will a License Reinstatement Payment Plan prevent the Iowa Department of Revenue from taking my Iowa tax refund?
No. Contact the Iowa Department of Revenue.
Can I be on the Driver’s License Reinstatement Program and the other payment plan at the same time?
No. You can only be on one plan at a time.
Can you have money taken directly out of my bank account?
No. We do not have the capability to perform automatic withdrawals.