Payment Plan

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a county attorney payment plan for?

This plan is most often used to satisfy probation/parole requirements, help with vehicle registration holds and to avoid garnishments. This payment plan will NOT affect the status of your driver's license. The plan will NOT prevent suspension of your driver's license for non-payment of traffic tickets. For a payment plan for your driver's license please apply for the License Reinstatement Program.

How do I set up a payment plan?

To Apply for a Payment Plan, please click here.

How do I make payments?


  • Pay through the mail. You can send a check or money order. Make payable to “Polk County Clerk of Court” and send it to the Polk County Clerk of Court, 222 5th Avenue, Des Moines, Iowa, Be sure to include at least one case number on your check or money order.


  • Pay in person. Go to the Payment Center at the Polk County Justice Center located at 222 5th Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50309. They do accept cash, check, money orders, debit or credit cards. The Polk County Justice Center is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (excluding holidays).


  • Pay over the phone. If you have a debit or credit card, you can pay over the phone by calling 515-348-4788. Please be patient this number may be busy or you may get voice mail.


  • The Polk County Attorney’s Office does not accept payments.

There is a hold on my vehicle registration how do I get that hold lifted?

  • If you are not currently on a payment plan with our office, you will need to enter into a payment plan. Either plan that we offer can help with your vehicle registration hold. A down payment will be required.


  • If you are already on a payment plan with our office you must be current on all payments before a vehicle registration hold will be released. To request a vehicle registration hold release please call (515) 286-3077 and leave a message.

When is a case eligible for a county attorney payment plan?

A case is eligible for a county attorney payment plan after 30 days from your sentencing date.

Can I start a new plan if I am delinquent on a previous plan?

No. You must get your plan current. Not making payments will result in garnishment or other legal proceedings.

What is the lowest total remaining balance that you would put on a payment plan?

We will not set up payment plan with a total remaining balance of less than $300.

Can I put case(s) from another county on my payment plan?

No. Only criminal and traffic cases from Polk County can be placed on a payment plan.

When does my payment plan end?

When all of your cases are paid in full.

What if I get behind on my payments?

You must get your plan current as soon as possible. Unemployment and incarceration are not valid reasons for missing required payments. Not making payments may result in garnishment or other legal proceedings.

What if I have a change in employment or income?

If you have a change of employment or have a significant change in income contact our office immediately at 515-286-3077.

Will my county attorney payment plan prevent the Iowa Department of Revenue from taking my Iowa tax refund?

No. Contact the Iowa Department of Revenue.

Can I be on this payment plan and the License Reinstatement Program at the same time?

No. You can only be on one plan at a time.

Can you have money taken directly out of my bank account?

No. We do not have the capability to perform automatic withdrawals.